Friday, September 15, 2017
COQUITLAM – The Coquitlam Foundation celebrated its 25th-anniversary Annual General Meeting on Sept. 14 by focusing on the importance of local charitable enterprises.
“We are celebrating 25 years of encouraging and supporting creative, targeted philanthropy that builds a vibrant, sustainable and healthy community,” said chair Jason Leo Carvalho. “During the past year, our board members, our volunteers serving on committees, and our staff members have been working hard to make this mission a reality.”
Meeting highlights included:
- The presentation of a cheque, for $6,925, to the Coquitlam Public Library, to support the CPL’s History Room Project. The grant is funded equally by the foundation-managed Coquitlam Public Library Living Legacy Fund and the Community Foundations Canada 150 grants program.
- The reading of the Province of British Columbia’s proclamation that declares September to be “Community Foundations Month” in the province. The proclamation notes that B.C.’s 52 community foundations support hundreds of volunteer organizations, charities, and non-profits, and that philanthropy is “laudable and valued in our society and something that should be encouraged in our citizens.”
- An announcement that a province-wide initiative, “Give Where You Live B.C.,” has been established to promote community philanthropy. More information can be found at www.givewhereyoulivebc.ca. The project is supported by a heart-filled logo reading, “Hearts in the Heart of Community.”
- Reports from CF board members declaring that financial support to Coquitlam students and community groups in 2016-17 reached $150,000, and that the foundation’s total assets increased by $100,000 to $2.93 million.
- News that the foundation will hold a “Not Just a Burger and Beer” fundraising event at 6 p.m., November 8, at the Cactus Club Café, 101 Schoolhouse Street, Coquitlam. Tickets are just $30 each and are already going fast. Please contact the foundation at email@example.com to reserve your seat!
The 2017 AGM sponsor was RBC Wealth Management/Dominion Securities/Chan and Ross Wealth Management. Legacy donor is Polygon.
The AGM confirmed Mr. Carvalho as chair, Colleen Talbot as vice-chair, Justina Mark as treasurer and Justin Kim as secretary. Proposed committee chairs include: Ms. Mark, finance and investment; Mr. Carvalho, resource development; Linda Meneghello, events; Ron Grender, grants; Terry O’Neill, marketing and communications; Madhavee Inamdar, multiculturalism; and Roch Ripley, policy. The chair of the fund relations committee will be filled at a later time.
Statutory representatives on the board are Mr. O’Neill (designate of Mayor of Coquitlam); Carlo Zarrillo (chair of the Tri-Cities Chamber of Commerce), and Carol Cahoon (designate of chair of Board of Trustees of School District 43). Rounding out the board is Michele Chow.
Mr. Carvalho noted that, while the past year has been a memorable one for the foundation, the coming year also holds great promise. “I am excited about the year ahead, not only because we are developing a new strategic plan, but also because I am confident that, working with my fellow board members, energetic staff led by Executive Director Dwight Yochim, volunteers and donors, we can make a real, lasting difference at the community level in Coquitlam.”
Among those volunteers, one is deserving of special note: recently retired chair Janet Toddington who, while no longer on the board, has chosen to continue to support the foundation through her work with foundation committees.
About the Coquitlam Foundation
The Coquitlam Foundation manages almost $3 million in 30 foundation-directed and donor-advised funds. The foundation always welcomes donations to any of its funds, which can be made through its website, www.coquitlamfoundation.com. As well, the foundation invites interested individuals or organizations to consider establishing a fund with the foundation. Legacy and estate donations are also welcome. The Coquitlam Foundation is registered with Canada Revenue as a charitable organization, No. 890762347 RR0001.